Close Close
Steven Cassidy

Steven Cassidy – BSCS 2021

Steven CassidySteven Cassidy (BSCS 2021) currently works as a Machine Learning Engineer for Prescient Edge, a Defense Contractor in McLean Virginia, which offers Intelligence and Engineering Services to the Department of Defense and other parts of the Intelligence Community. At Prescient Edge, Steven is currently working to develop deep learning models for image recognition on Coast Guard aircraft. These models will help operators analyze and identify objects and entities in images and videos taken by the aircraft. Steven is also researching and using advanced techniques to improve the speed of these models so that they can process images and videos on edge and in real-time. He has employed the various techniques including code vectorization, model quantization, and others, benchmarking these techniques to determine which ones provide the fastest performance. Prior to his graduation, Steven conducted research with Professor Gil Eckert as part of Monmouth University’s School of Science Summer Research Program in which he used drone photography and worked on developing a method of detecting damage following natural disasters. He states, “My research with Professor Eckert inspired me to look for a career where I could use Computer Vision and Machine Learning to develop solutions to solve real world problems and advance human capabilities. As someone with a physical disability, these opportunities helped me gain experience I needed to be successful and show that I will not let disability stop me from achieving my goals in life. Without the opportunities that I received at Monmouth, I would not be where I am today.” While working as a Machine Learning Engineer at Prescient Edge, Steven is also pursuing a Master’s in Computer Science at Syracuse University and is expected to graduate in 2023.