The field placement experience is a vital and required component of graduate education in counseling. The practicum and internship provide opportunities for students in training to expand and enrich their personal and professional development by ensuring that they are provided the required supervised counseling experience. The field placement experience is also a requirement of the Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP), as well as the State of New Jersey. Field placement provides an opportunity to experience counseling under the direction of an "on-site" supervisor and a Monmouth University faculty member.
According to CACREP guidelines, counselors in training should have the following opportunities through their field placement experiences:
1) Experience in individual and group interactions;
2) Opportunities for students to counsel clients representative of the ethnic, lifestyle, and demographic diversity of their community;
3) Involvement in a variety of professional activities in addition to direct service work;
4) Use of variety of professional resources such as measurement instruments, computers, print and non-print media, professional literature, and research.
5) Application of the ethical code and guidelines of the American Counseling Association (ACA).
6) Extensive supervision supported by observational and communications technologies.
There are three important outcomes of a successful field placement experience for the student:
1) It gives the student the opportunity to integrate and apply the fundamentals of the profession under the direction of qualified supervisors.
2) It forms the basis for the transition from the student role to the role of the professional counselor.
3) It shapes future employment by developing skills of working with particular client populations, in particular counseling modalities, and/or with particular presenting problems. The Field Placement Coordinator will assist all participating students through these experiences.
Current students should utilize and be familiar with the following resources: