Main Menu

Frequently Asked Questions

Select a Category:

  • Admission

    Q:  In which building are the admission offices located?

    A:  The Offices of Undergraduate and Graduate Admission are located in Wilson Hall, on the first floor.

    Q:  Where do I send my application materials?

    A:  Applications and supporting documents for admission should be submitted to the Office of Admission Processing, Wilson Hall, Monmouth University, West Long Branch, NJ 07764-1898.

    Q:  How do I apply?


    1. Complete the online Application for Admission and mail the $50 application fee. This application fee must be in the form of a bank draft, money order, or U.S. bank check payable to Monmouth University. This fee will not be returned and is non-refundable. This fee cannot be waived.
    2. To support your application, please have the originals, or certified true copies of all examinations, diplomas, and school work translated into English by an accredited evaluation agency. One that is highly recommended is World Education Services. Transcripts are carefully reviewed, and grades and marks are converted to an equivalent American grade point average. Course descriptions of each course are necessary for a complete evaluation of credits. Only completed evaluations sent directly from an accredited agency to Monmouth University will be accepted as official. These documents are not returnable. Please note that requirements for international graduate students are different than those for undergraduate. Please contact a graduate admission counselor for details.
    3. Complete the Application for Form I-20. You must provide certified evidence that you have adequate funds to meet all of your expenses during your first year of study.

    Q:  What are the requirements to get in to Monmouth out of high school?

    A:  The two main criteria used in evaluating an application are cumulative high school grade point average and SAT or ACT scores. Students accepted to Monmouth for the fall 2010 semester typically averaged 1650 on the SAT and had about a “B” average. There are students that scored higher and lower than these figures.

    Q:  How much does it cost to attend Monmouth University?

    A:  Tuition and fees at Monmouth University are based on your student status. Please visit our Tuition and Fees page for additional information.

    Q:  Is a personal interview required?

    A:  No, interviews are not required. However, if you have questions and would like to speak with an admission counselor, please call the Office of Undergraduate Admission at 800-543-9671.

    Q:  Do you accept AP credits?

    A:  Yes. Monmouth grants college credit for secondary school courses that have been validated by the Advanced Placement Examination Board. Credit is awarded based upon both the exam subject and the exam score. AP exam scores of 3, 4 or 5 are granted credit, however, minimum scores to grant credit vary by department. For further information about specific exams, please contact the Office of Admission at 732-571-3456.

    Q:  Does Monmouth require an essay as part of the application process?

    A:  Monmouth requires a student to submit an application, a $50 application fee, an official high school transcript, and official SAT/ACT scores to be considered for admission. A personal essay and letter of recommendation are also required.

    Q:  Does Monmouth accept the Common Application?

    A:  Yes, Monmouth does accept the Common Application. Please visit our Apply to MU page for more information.

    Q:  Does Monmouth accept applications from home schooled students?

    A:  Yes, Monmouth does accept applications from home schooled students. Please refer to the Home Schooled Students section of the admission Website for full details.

    Q:  I’m applying online for undergraduate admission. Can I mail letters of recommendation?

    A:  In order to guarantee that your recommendations are submitted into your application by the application deadline, letters of recommendation must be submitted electronically. When applying online, you will be asked if you would like to have individuals submit letters of recommendation on your behalf. Simply indicate the individual’s name and e-mail address. They will be notified via e-mail of your request and directed to our online letter of recommendation form. Monmouth does not accept letters of recommendation submitted in any other manner.

    Q:  When can I come for a tour of Monmouth?


    From the months of September through the end of April, tours are from Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tours last approximately an hour. During the months of May through August, tours are from Monday through Thursday at 10 a.m., 12 p.m, and 2 p.m.

    Monmouth also hosts Saturday information sessions during the year. There are 7 in the fall in 5 in the spring. Saturday information sessions begin at 10 a.m. with a presentation and are followed by a tour of campus. Please visit the admission page for dates of upcoming Saturday information sessions.

    Information sessions are also held during the week from September through the end of April. Weekday information sessions are held on Tuesdays and Fridays at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m.

    If you would like to schedule a time to tour Monmouth or attend an information session, please call the Office of Undergraduate Admission at 800-543-9671.

    Q:  What are the application deadlines?

    A:  The deadline for freshman applying Early Action is December 1, and Regular Decision is March 1. The spring semester deadline is December 1. Applications received after the March 1 deadline will be considered on a space-available basis. International students making application should note the June 1 application deadline for the fall semester and the November 1 application deadline for the spring semester.

    Career Services

    Q:  Are courses available to assist in the job search?

    A:  Yes. Each semester Career Search (LC300) is offered to junior and senior level students. This one-credit elective course provides instruction in various elements of the career search, including organizing and researching the job hunt, developing the resume and cover letter, and interviewing techniques.

    Q:  I may want to seek a part-time job while in school. What assistance is available?

    A:  Career Services can assist students looking for part-time employment. The office coordinates placement of all students in jobs through Federal Work Study, a financial aid program. Last year over 700 students were employed on campus. Each year, hundreds of job openings of all types are advertised through this service. Summer jobs, many full-time, are also available.

    Q:  What help is available at the Career Services Office?

    A:  The Career Services Office offers services such as assistance with resumes, interview coaching, advise and information on job search strategies, and information on graduate schools. A primary focus of the services is to help seniors, recent graduates and other alumni to secure full-time career-oriented employment. To help achieve this, a large on-campus recruitment program is held each November through May with as many as 150 local, regional and national employers.

    Commuter Students

    Q:  Can I get a meal plan as a commuter student?

    A:  Yes. ARAMARK Dining Services offers a wide variety of meal plans and declining balance dollar options for commuter students. For more information you can call 732-222-1444.

    Q:  Am I permitted to have parking decals for more than one vehicle?

    A:  Yes. The Monmouth University Police Department will permit a student to apply for up to two decals for vehicles they drive. However, only one vehicle is permitted on campus at any given time.

    Q:  If I have an evening class and would like an escort back to my vehicle will the University help me?

    A:  Yes. The Monmouth University Police department is happy to provide students with an escort to their vehicle. Just contact the Police department by calling 732-571-3472. You can also utilize one of Monmouth's 43 callboxes to contact the MU Police Department.

    Q:  Where should I park if I want to use the library?

    A:  Commuter students, employees, and visitors utilizing the library facilities may park in Lot 6 in the designated “Library Patrons Only” parking spaces. Additionally, the gate arm to Lot 20, the library lot, will be raised after 7:30 p.m. daily to accommodate additional patrons. Should the library spaces be full, commuter students must park in one of the commuter parking lots on campus.


    Q:  How much should a student work while in school?

    A:  This depends a great deal on the student's ability to handle his or her class load and assignments; however, as a general rule, 10 to 15 hours per week.

    Q:  How do I find a child care provider?

    A:  Please contact the Placement Office by sending e-mail to or by faxing a description of the services required to 732-263-5167. Details about posting a job vacancy can be found online at Career Services.

    Q:  Can I get an on-campus job?

    A:  Many students get part-time, on-campus employment in a variety of jobs, either through the Work-Study Program (a federally funded student financial air program) or through university employment. There will be an on campus job fair during the first week of school


    Q:  I want to use Monmouth University's facilities (to take photographs, for a conference or meeting, etc.). Who should I contact to make arrangements?

    A:  In addition to providing conference facilities, the Monmouth University conference staff can assist you in regards to program direction and organization, content development, and help with providing presenters. If you’re looking for the best possible combination of professional atmosphere, excellent facilities, attractive pricing, and personal attention, please call Conference and Program Services at 732-571-3473 or send e-mail to For more information visit Conferences and Event Services.

    Financial Aid

    Q:  Does Monmouth offer academic scholarships or grants?

    A:  Yes, we offer grants and scholarships to entering freshman based on a student's official transcript GPA and SAT or ACT scores. Approximately 80% of our undergraduate students are supported through the academic scholarship program. Scholarships are also available for transfer students. There is no separate application for scholarship consideration. To find out if you qualify, contact the Office of Undergraduate Admission at 800-543-9671.

    Q:  Do I have to apply for aid every year?

    A:  Yes. To receive consideration for as many programs as possible, you should file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. File the FAFSA as soon after January 1 as possible.

    Q:  Is financial aid available for graduate students?

    A:  There are scholarships and student loans available for graduate students who meet the eligibility criteria. Graduate assistantships are also available. Interested graduate students should visit the graduate financial aid section of our Web site for more detailed information.

    Q:  What forms do I need to apply?

    A:  Initially, the only form you will need is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. We will contact you if it will be necessary to complete additional forms.

    Q:  Do I need to be admitted to Monmouth University before I can apply for financial aid?

    A:  No. You can apply for financial aid any time after January 1st of the year you will be entering college. You will need to fill out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Access FAFSA online. You will not receive an official offer of financial aid until you have been admitted to Monmouth University.

    Q:  What does it take to be considered an independent student?


    To be considered independent for the current academic year, a student must meet one of the following conditions:

    • Born before January 1, 1990
    • Be married
    • Enroll in a graduate or professional program beyond a bachelor's degree
    • Currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training
    • A veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces
    • Have children who receive more than half of their support from you
    • Have other dependents who receive more than half of their support from you
    • Since turning age 13, both of your parents were deceased, you were in foster care, or you were a dependent or ward of the court
    • You are or were an emancipated minor
    • You are or were in legal guardianship
    • You are homeless or at risk of being homeless

    Q:  Is there a maximum income level that will make me ineligible for financial aid?

    A:  No. Income level does not automatically disqualify you for financial aid. Other variables such as the number in the family and the number of family members (excluding parents) attending college are taken into consideration.

    Q:  What is Monmouth University’s financial aid deadline?

    A:  There is no official deadline for applying for aid at Monmouth University because assistance is awarded on a first come/first served basis. Students are encouraged to file as early as possible. However, state aid deadlines are extremely rigid; please see the State of New Jersey Grants and Scholarships section for more information.

    Q:  What is Monmouth University’s Title IV School Code?

    A:  002616

    Q:  Does Monmouth University offer a monthly tuition payment plan?

    A:  Yes. Monmouth participates in the Tuition Management Systems (TMS) plan. The plan allows students and families to spread monthly payments over several months. For more information, please contact the University’s Bursar’s Office at 732-571-3454, or call TMS directly at 800-722-4867; TMS may also be reached through their web site at

    Q:  Will my aid change if I move on (or off) campus?

    A:  Most likely. Please contact one of Monmouth’s financial aid counselors to determine how your aid may be affected at 732-571-3463.

    Q:  What are my chances of receiving financial aid?

    A:  The only way to determine your eligibility for financial aid is to submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. The likelihood of receiving some form of assistance is better than many students and their families anticipate.

    Graduate Students

    Q:  What graduate programs are offered by Monmouth University?

    A:  The Graduate School offers 19 Master’s degree programs, 22 professional certificate programs, and one certification endorsement program.

    Q:  What graduate programs require an admission test?


    Some of the graduate programs at Monmouth University do require you to (take and successfully) complete a standardized admission test and to send the official scores to the Office of Admission Processing before your application can be processed. The specific programs and admission tests are listed below:

    • Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT): required for admission into MBA program (minimum score of 450)
    • Graduate Records Examination (GRE): required for Corporate and Public Communication (as an alternative to a portfolio of work) and Psychological Counseling (as an alternative to a master’s degree in a related field)

    Q:  What documentation is needed for admission to the Graduate School?


    Below is a checklist of documents that should be sent to the Office of Admission Processing, Wilson Hall, Monmouth University, West Long Branch, NJ 07764-1898. Please note that certain items pertain to specific programs.

    1. Completed application form (either online or hard copy by mail)
    2. Designated (non-refundable) application fee
    3. Official transcript(s) of the undergraduate record from ALL institutions
    4. Official transcript(s) of any graduate work done elsewhere
    5. Scores from appropriate standardized admission test; GMAT or GRE (selected programs)
    6. Letters of recommendation/letters of reference (selected programs)
    7. Autobiographical statement/personal essay (selected programs)
    8. Portfolio of work (communications programs)
    9. Current NJ registered nurse license (nursing programs)
    10. Photocopy of a current liability and malpractice policy (nursing programs)
    11. TOEFL scores (international students)

    Q:  What are the application deadlines?

    A:  July 15 for the fall semester · November 15 for the spring semester · March 15 for MSW applications · May 1 for the summer sessions

    Q:  How do I apply to take the GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test)?

    A:  The GMAT is now administered by the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC) as a computer-adaptive test (CAT) and is offered many days every month at a number of sites in the local area. For information and to schedule testing, visit, or call 1-800-717-GMAT in the Americas, +61 2 9478 5430 in the Asia Pacific region, 86-10-62798877 in China, +44 (0) 161 8557219 in Europe/Middle East/Africa, or +91 120 439 7830 in India. More details can be found in the GMAT Information Bulletin, available in the Office of Graduate Admission, Wilson Hall.

    Q:  How do I apply to take the GRE (Graduate Records Examination)?

    A:  Call the Educational Testing Service (ETS) at 609-771-7670 (general inquiries). The GRE can be taken as a paper-based test, which has a limited number of test dates (call 609-734-9362 for details) or as a computer-based test (CBT), and is offered year-round at a number of sites in the local area (call 609-452-9342 for details). More information, including sample test questions and online registration, can be found at the GRE Web site ( and in the GRE Information Bulletin, available in the Office of Graduate Admission, Wilson Hall.

    Q:  How do I apply to transfer credit?

    A:  After you have been admitted into your graduate program, you can apply to transfer graduate credit by completing a transfer of credit form, which can be obtained in the Registrars office, and submitting it to your academic department.

    Q:  What action can I take if the department does not approve my request for a course waiver or for transfer credit?

    A:  You should arrange to take the course that you attempted to have waived. The department will deny requests for waivers if the designated faculty member/Chair does not think your previous course work provided you with the depth or breadth of subject matter that you need to progress successfully in the graduate program. (This is particularly important if the course you wished to have waived is a prerequisite for more advanced graduate work.) The department may also deny a request for a waiver or for transfer credits if one or more of the conditions (age of prior work, grades earned, etc.) have not been satisfied. However, sometimes a waiver or transfer credits request might be resubmitted if you can provide more information about the content of the course work you completed before entering the program at Monmouth University, or you can provide more detailed information about relevant work experience (verified by your employer).

    Q:  How do I know if I might qualify to have some courses waived from my degree requirements?

    A:  As soon as possible after receiving notification of acceptance, you should carefully examine the course description or syllabus for the course you may wish to be waived. Contact the appropriate academic department chair/program director to discuss a possible

    Q:  How do I register for my first course(s)?

    A:  Once you have been admitted to a graduate program, you may consult with a Graduate Admission Counselor or the appropriate academic department to register for classes, or attend one of the registration days/nights hosted by some academic programs.

    Q:  Can I take a course outside the University for transfer credit while I am enrolled in a Monmouth University graduate program?

    A:  Students who are accepted for graduate work at Monmouth University are expected to complete all remaining course work at Monmouth. You may not take courses elsewhere for transfer credit without specific prior approval by the Chair of the department and Dean of the School.

    Q:  What happens if I become delinquent in payments?

    A:  If you become delinquent in payments due during the year, you may not be allowed to register for future semesters until the outstanding balance is satisfied. In addition, the student will pay all collection costs and fees, including but not limited to attorney’s fees incurred by the University.

    Q:  How can I find out about course schedules?

    A:  A Schedule of Courses can be accessed online at WebAdvisor or through the Registrar’s Web site.

    Q:  When must I pay my tuition and fees?

    A:  After you register for courses, you will be sent a tuition/fee bill by the Bursar’s Office. Payment of fall charges is due in August, and spring charges are due in December. Payment for summer sessions is due in May. Specific dates are set annually and are announced in the Schedule of Courses booklet. Major credit cards are accepted.

    Q:  What preparation should I have in the use of the computer?

    A:  All students should have some familiarity with the use of computers, especially PC’s. We have no formal requirements about your level of skill in computer usage. However, some experience is highly desirable. Computers are used in most graduate courses, and the instructors in these courses will not have the opportunity to provide basic instruction in computer skills. Monmouth University has a number of computer labs for use by students. The Lab networks support Microsoft Office Applications: Word, Access, Excel, and PowerPoint, and other software programs.

    Q:  Who should I ask to write my letters of recommendation?

    A:  Your letters of recommendation should come from either academic or professional sources. Please note, the Master of Social Work and the Master of Arts in Psychological Counseling require references to be completed on reference forms, which can be obtained through the graduate admission office or downloaded in PDF from our Web site.

    Q:  How can I find out more about these programs?


    There are a number of ways to find out more about individual graduate programs:

    Q:  Are curriculum charts available for my program of study?

    A:  Yes. Curriculum charts are available online from the Registrar’s Web site. The Office of Graduate Admission or your academic department will also be able to provide you with specific curriculum charts for your program of study.

    Q:  Are there payment plans available?

    A:  The Tuition Management Systems (TMS) offers a monthly payment plan that is available for graduate student use. The plan offers 12-, 10-, or 8-month payment schedules. Tuition costs are divided evenly among the monthly payments. There is a $50 initial year application fee for the 12-month program with an annual renewal fee of $40. Part-time graduate students may select a four-month semester plan beginning August 1 for the fall semester. The application fee is $30 per term when the single semester plan is chosen. Visa and MasterCard are accepted for payment of educational purposes. If you need more detailed information on the payment plan, you should contact the Bursar’s Office.

    Q:  When I register for classes, will I always be able to obtain a place in the courses I select?

    A:  There is no guaranteed placement. The enrollment in each class is limited to provide for effective teaching and student interaction. When a course is full, you will not be able to register for it. You may request to be placed on a waitlist or choose another course after having consulted your advisor.

    Q:  Is there a policy for refunding of fees?

    A:  Yes. Tuition and other refundable fees will be refunded upon withdrawal from fall or spring semester courses according to the schedule detailed in the Graduate School Catalog. All refunds will be based on the official date of withdrawal, specified on the completed withdrawal form received by the Registrar’s Office, or, if no completed withdrawal form is received, the last date of attendance as determined by Monmouth University. You are responsible for ensuring that the withdrawal form reaches the Registrar’s Office.

    Q:  Can certain courses in graduate programs be replaced by transfer credits?

    A:  Students in graduate programs may, with the permission of the program chair/director and the school dean, transfer a maximum of nine credits of graduate work from another accredited graduate school, provided that (a) the courses requested for transfer were completed with grades of "B" of better, (b) the courses are offered only for graduate credit at the previous institution, and (c) that the courses are judged appropriate by the program. (The grades of transferred courses are not used in the computation of the GPA at Monmouth.)

    Q:  When do I register for my first course(s)?

    A:  Deadline dates for registration are available online at the Registrar’s Web site. As a rule of thumb, the last day of registration for the fall semester is during the last week of August, for the spring semester it is during the second week of January, and for the summer sessions, the deadline date is in mid-May.

    Q:  What are the tuition, fees, and expenses?


    Tuition Charges: Graduate students are assessed tuition on a per-credit basis. Because of the uncertainty of future costs, Monmouth University reserves the right to alter any or all charges and to do so within the academic year.

    Comprehensive Fee: This fee includes services provided by the Student Center, Student Activities, Health Center, Intercollegiate Athletics, Placement, Center for Student Success, Computer Center, and Registration.

    Application Fee: This non-refundable fee is for the cost of processing graduate applications.

    Late Registration Fee: A fee is charged to all continuing or former students who receive permission to register for coursework after the close of the regular registration period.

    Late Payment Fee: A fee is charged to all students who have not properly made final financial arrangements with the Bursar by the close of the regular registration period.

    Graduation Application Fee: This fee covers costs involved in issuing the diploma and other graduation expenses.

    Q:  I have found a program that interests me: What are the program requirements?

    A:  Each graduate program has its own admission requirements. You should contact the Graduate Admission office at 1-800-543-9671 to get more details regarding the specific program of interest.

    Q:  Once admitted, how do I know which courses to take?

    A:  You will be provided with a Graduate Catalog, a fact sheet on the appropriate graduate program, and/or a curriculum chart that lists all the courses and course requirements for the graduate degree. (Curriculum charts can be viewed online from the Registrar’s Web site.) You will receive advice and assistance from a counselor in the Office of Graduate Admission. You will also be assigned an advisor from the appropriate academic department. For example, your advisor will assist you with course selection before each semester and summer session, advice on seeking course waivers or transfer credits, and suggestions on how to improve your performance in the program if you are having difficulty. It is advisable to contact your advisor at least once every semester before registering for any courses and for any other information or assistance you may need.

    Q:  I’d like to browse through the Monmouth University degree program catalogs. How can I do this?

    A:  Both the graduate and undergraduate catalogs can be viewed online at the Registrar’s Web site. Catalogs are also available on campus in the Office of Admission Processing, and the Office of Graduate Admission (both offices are in Wilson Hall). The Center for Student Success (CSS) in the Student Center also has a supply.

    Health and Safety

    Q:  Is there someplace on campus I can go to if I am feeling sick?

    A:  Yes. Monmouth students can and should use the Health Center whenever they are feeling ill. The Health Center is located next to the Library, located on the North side of campus. For more information call 732-571-3464.

    Q:  Who should be notified if a student has a health condition such as diabetes, seizures, or an emotional disorder of which the University should be aware?

    A:  Parents should make sure that the University health form is completed prior to the student's coming to campus. Please make every effort to complete the immunization record including rubella, mumps, and measles, as these are required by law. On this form there are places to alert University personnel to any special problems. Parents should also notify the Director of Health Services and/or the Vice President for Student Services.

    Q:  Is there a safety escort service on campus?

    A:  Yes. University Police will be happy to escort a student on campus. Students who wish to take advantage of this service should call the University Police at 732-571-3472. You can also utilize one of Monmouth's 43 callboxes to contact the MU Police Department.

    Q:  What services are provided by the Health Center?

    A:  Generally, the Health Center deals with minor illness or injuries. All campus-related injuries are to be promptly reported to the Health Center. Other services include: allergy injections, TB testing, physician, X-ray and lab referrals, a Women's Clinic, HIV testing, and health, wellness, and substance abuse resources.

    Q:  Are students covered by a health insurance policy?

    A:  The University partially covers students via an accident insurance plan which insures for accidents on campus. Other medical needs must be covered by either parents or the student. New Jersey State law requires all full-time undergraduate students be covered by hospitalization insurance. Students will be asked to provide proof of such coverage or will automatically be billed and enrolled in the University's group plan.

    Q:  What if I become ill on campus?

    A:  Students who are ill may go to the Health Center to be treated and when necessary, stay in the center during the day for observation. There are no overnight services. Students needing further observation and treatment are sent home, referred to a local physician or sent to Monmouth Medical Center.

    Q:  How is security handled on campus?

    A:  Monmouth University has its own police department that patrols the campus and residence halls, and ensures the safety of the University community. These University Police Officers are certified just as the police force in your hometown. They are available 24 hours a day to handle problems or emergencies.

    International Students

    Q:  Do I need to provide health records?

    A:  Yes, all matriculating students born on or after 1/1/57 are required to submit a Student Health Record and complete immunization records showing immunity to measles, mumps, and rubella. - Since Fall 1998, all entering international students must also provide documentation of Mantoux tuberculin testing (regardless of prior BXG vaccinations) within the previous year.

    Q:  Do you accept transfer credits from international students?

    A:  International transfer students are required to apply and submit the non-refundable $50 application fee. As an international student, you must have transcripts sent directly from all colleges and universities previously attended to Monmouth University. Those transcripts will also have to be evaluated by an accredited evaluation agency. Monmouth recommends World Education Services.Course descriptions of each course are necessary for a complete evaluation of credits. These documents are not returnable.

    Q:  What are the admission requirements?


    English Proficiency: Applicants whose native language is not English must provide proof of English proficiency. This can be demonstrated via the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the IELTS (International English Language Testing System), CAE (Certificate of Advanced English), and MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery). Monmouth's code is 2416. Monmouth requires results of 550 on the paper-based TOEFL, 213 on computer-based TOEFL, or 79 on the Internet-based TOEFL. The minimum score considered for the IELTS is 6. The minimum for CAE is B2. The minimum for MELAB is 77 (Some graduate programs require higher results. Please contact an admission counselor for details). For applications and information regarding the TOEFL, contact TOEFL/TSE services at For information regarding the IELTS, please visit Information about the CAE can be found at MELAB information can be located at

    International undergraduate students whose native language is English must take the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) and meet regular admission criteria. Students should have official score reports sent directly from the College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB). For more information contact the College Board at

    Academic Ability: First-year (starting) students must demonstrate successful completion of secondary level school course work.

    Transfer students with less than one year of post-secondary coursework must demonstrate successful completion of both secondary level school coursework and successful completion of attempted post-secondary coursework.

    Transfer students with one year or more of post-secondary coursework must demonstrate successful completion of this coursework.

    Q:  What tests, besides TOEFL, are considered for admission to Monmouth?


    There are three other tests that Monmouth will consider for admission. They are: IELTS (International English Language Testing System); Cambridge; and MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery).

    A range of 5-7 on IELTS, an A, B, or C on Cambridge, or combined score of 77 on MELAB are acceptable scores.

    Q:  What are the application deadlines?

    A:  As a practical matter, the time required to process international student applications is greater than the time required to process those of U.S. natives. Therefore, although our formal deadline for applications for the fall (September) semester is June 1. It is important that international students who wish to attend Monmouth apply early. Similarly, while our formal deadline for applications for the spring (January) semester is November 1, international students are advised to apply well before this date. Applications submitted after these dates will be considered only if space remains available in the incoming class.

    Q:  How do I apply for a student visa?


    To come to the United States and attend Monmouth University, you must make an appointment with your nearest American embassy or consulate and apply for an F-1 (if you have Form I-20) or J-1 (if you have Form IAP-66) student visa.

    Before you apply for the visa, you should understand the process and rules governing the issuance of U.S. visas. Many visa applications fail. In some countries, most applications fail. Often it is because the student did not understand the rules or was not prepared. Don’t let this happen to you. Please read the following information very carefully and contact us if you need more information or help.

    The Rules:

    • The person who decides whether or not to give you a visa to come to the United States is a “consul.” By U.S. law you are regarded as someone who plans to remain in the United States permanently. By U.S. law the consul MUST take the position, “You’re not coming back home when you finish your studies.” Student visas are only given to persons who can convince the consul that they intend to return permanently to their home country. Failure to convince the consul you will return home is the number one reason for visa denial.
    • You must have a good academic or professional objective for coming to the United States and Monmouth University to study, be qualified for the program of study, and be able to prove that you can finance it.
    • Consuls are impersonal when administering laws. In the United States, laws are applied equally to all people regardless of status or gender. Do not try to negotiate or discuss personal matters with the consul.
    • U.S. government officials like documents. Try to have papers to show the consul that prove you are qualified for a student visa.

    Be Prepared:

    1. Be ready to clearly explain why you want to come to the United States to study at Monmouth University.
      • Why do you want to study in the United States?
      • Why are you going to take this program of study?
      • Why did you choose Monmouth University?
      • What career will your studies prepare you for back home?
    2. Be ready to convince the consul that you will return home permanently after you complete your studies. Present papers that can prove that you have “ties” to your country that are so strong they will force you to return home.
      • If your program of study is in great demand in your country, get a letter from a possible employer stating an interest in hiring people with degrees like the one you will get.
      • If your family owns a business, take a letter from the bank describing it. If they own property, take the deeds.
      • If you have a brother or sister who studied in the United States and then returned home, take a copy of his or her diploma and a statement from his or her employer.
    3. Do NOT emphasize any ties you have to the United States or to family members in the United States. This will be regarded as an indication that YOU may intend to remain in the United States.
    4. Practice your English. You are expected to speak English during your meeting with the consul. Take a copy of your TOEFL score report to show to the consul.
    5. Do not talk about working in the Unites States. You are required to prove that you can support the costs of studying and living in the United States. Employment is strictly controlled by the immigration service and is not guaranteed.
    6. Be sure your passport is valid. If your visa is denied, write to us providing as much detail as you can about what was said during your interview. Tell us the name of the consular officer you met with and send a copy of any written information you may have been given related to the visa denial. We will help in any way we can.

    Q:  What is considered a Full Course of Study?


    1. Post-graduate study or post-doctoral study or research at a college or university, or undergraduate or post-graduate study at a conservatory or religious seminary, certified by a designated school official as a full course of study;

    2. Undergraduate study at a college or university, certified by a school official to consist of at least twelve semester or quarter hours of instruction per academic term, using a standard semesters, trimester, or quarter hour system, where all undergraduate students who are enrolled for a minimum of twelve semester or quarter hours are charged full-time tuition or are considered full-time for other administrative purposes, or its equivalent (as determined by the district director in the school approval process), except when the student needs a lesser course load to complete the course of study during the current term;

    3. Study in a post-secondary language, liberal arts, fine arts, or other non-vocational program at a school, which confers upon its graduates recognized associate or other degrees or has established that its credits are or have been accepted unconditionally by at least three institutions of higher learning within 8 CFR 214.3(c) (1) or (2), and which has been certified by a designated school official to consist of at least twelve clock hours of instruction a week, or its equivalent as determined by the district director in the school approval process;

    4. Study in any other language, liberal arts, fine arts, or other non-vocational training program, certified by a designated school official to consist of at least eighteen clock hours of attendance a week if the dominant part consists of classroom instruction, or to consist of at least twenty-two clock hours a week if the dominant part of the course of study consists of laboratory work; or

    5. Study in a primary school or academic high school curriculum certified by a designated school official to consist of class attendance for not less than the minimum number of hours per week prescribed by the school for normal progress towards graduation.

    Q:  What is the cost for the academic year?

    A:  All costs are estimated for the entire academic year. The approximate cost for the 2012-2013 academic year is $40,900, which includes room and board.

    Q:  How much does it cost to attend Monmouth University?

    A:  You can determine your direct cost only after you have been awarded financial aid. The University’s "before aid" fee schedule can be found here.

    Q:  Does Monmouth University have an English as a Second Language Program?

    A:  Monmouth does not have an English as a Second Language Program (ESL), but does offer support services for Language Minority Students. All students are expected to have the required English proficiency before attending Monmouth.

    Q:  What extracurricular activities does Monmouth offer?

    A:  Monmouth offers nearly 80 clubs and activities. In addition, Monmouth has 7 fraternities and 7 sororities. Monmouth's athletic teams are a part of the Division I Northeast Conference (NEC) with 9 women's teams and 10 men's teams. The football team is Division I-AA.

    Q:  Is financial aid available?

    A:  Federal funding is ONLY available to U.S. citizens; however, we do offer academic grants and scholarships to qualified students.

    Q:  What type of financial documentation is required?

    A:  We typically look for bank statements in US dollars showing an average daily balance and proof of income. Information should be in English and no more than 6 months old. Other documentation may be required. Send us photocopies or faxes, not originals. You will need originals of all the documents you have sent us to give to the American embassy when we send you your I-20.

    Q:  What is a Form I-20, and why do I need one?


    Form I-20 is a government form on which Monmouth University certifies to the U.S. government that you are eligible for F-1 student status. It certifies that you:

    • have met our admission requirements;
    • have been accepted for a full course of study; and
    • have proven to us that you have enough money to study and live in the United States without working illegally or suffering from poverty.

    You need a Form I-20 to obtain an F-1 student visa or status, or to keep lawful F-1 status when transferring or changing schools within the United States. Transferring students do not have to receive the I-20 before coming to Monmouth University unless they are traveling outside the United States before classes begin. To retrieve Form I-20 and for more information, click here.

    Q:  Is there housing for international students?

    A:  Approximately 1,700 undergraduate students live on campus in 13 residence halls and two garden-style apartment complexes. On-campus housing is available on a first-come, first-served basis for all first-year international students. (There currently is no on-campus housing for graduate students.) Some residence halls house two students per room. Suite-style residence halls house approximately eight students who share bathing facilities and four bedrooms. Nearby off-campus housing is available for students in the form of furnished and unfurnished rooms, apartments, and houses. Many of these rentals are located within walking distance of the University and the Atlantic Ocean. Because West Long Branch is a popular summer resort area, off-season rentals near the University, which offer excellent opportunities for housing, are often available during the school year.

    Q:  What is the climate like in New Jersey? How should I dress?

    A:  Monthly average temperatures range from a high of 85.6 degrees Fahrenheit in the summer months (June-August) to a low of 24.2 degrees Fahrenheit in the winter months (late November-early March). New Jersey goes through all four seasons so it is ideal to bring clothes for all types of conditions ranging from shorts and short-sleeve shirts to pant, boots, and sweaters. Monmouth University sits just less than a mile away from the Atlantic Ocean.

    Q:  Can I work on campus?

    A:  Yes, but do not expect that you will be able to work to help meet your minimum annual costs. On-campus opportunities are very limited and competitive. Off-campus employment is strictly controlled by the immigration service.

    Q:  Is there housing for international students?

    A:  Approximately 1,700 undergraduate students live on campus in 13 residence halls and two garden-style apartment complexes. On-campus housing is available on a first-come, first-served basis for all first-year international students. (There currently is no on-campus housing for graduate students.) Some residence halls house two students per room. Suite-style residence halls house approximately eight students who share bathing facilities and four bedrooms. Nearby off-campus housing is available for students in the form of furnished and unfurnished rooms, apartments, and houses. Many of these rentals are located within walking distance of the University and the Atlantic Ocean. Because West Long Branch is a popular summer resort area, off-season rentals near the University, which offer excellent opportunities for housing, are often available during the school year.

    Q:  What are the steps I follow upon my acceptance to Monmouth?

    A:  After a formal acceptance, a $200 enrollment deposit is required to secure a place in the class. This deposit is refundable until May 1. Deposits made after May 1 are non-refundable. Once the enrollment deposit is processed you will need to make a deposit for housing and also complete the housing contract (if applicable). The deposit for housing is $150. As with the enrollment deposit, the housing deposit is refundable until May 1.

    Q:  How long will it take to receive notification of acceptance?

    A:  Monmouth University tries to respond as quickly as possible to all international applications. Students should be notified within a few weeks after all documents have been received by the Admission office.

    Q:  Is there an Office of International Students?

    A:  The Office of International Student Services assists students from other countries with their adjustment to life in the United States and at Monmouth University. Upon acceptance, you will be contacted by the international student advisor who can provide personal and academic advising and cross-cultural counseling.

    Q:  I probably won’t qualify for financial aid. Should I apply anyway?

    A:  Yes. Many families think they won’t qualify for assistance and miss out on receiving financial aid by failing to apply. There are some sources of aid such as the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan, Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students, Alternative loans and the NJCLASS Loan that are available regardless of need.

    Q:  What are the requirements for maintaining F-1 student status?

    A:  You Must:

    • Keep your passport valid.
    • Attend the authorized school.
    • Carry a full course of study.
    • Make normal progress toward completing a course of study.
    • Complete the transfer procedure to change schools or continue from one educational level to another at the same school.
    • Complete a program extension procedure to remain longer than the time estimated on the I-20.
    • Not work without authorization; limit authorized employment to no more than 20 hours per week while school is in session.
    • Report a change of address to INS and the International Student Service Office within 10 days of completing the move.

    Q:  I hold a student visa and I am interested in transferring to Monmouth, how do I complete the School Transfer/Change Procedure?


    The Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) requires that F-1 students complete a “school transfer procedure” when changing to a new school. This procedure must be completed within the first 15 days of starting school at Monmouth University in order to maintain your F-1 status.

    How to Complete Your Student Transfer/Change Procedure:

    • Complete an Application for Form I-20 and send it along with the required evidence of financial support to the Admission Office.
    • Complete Part I of the Request for F-1 Transfer Information form and send it to your international student adviser at your former school.
    • If you tell us that you plan to travel outside the U.S. before school begins on your Application for Form I-20, we will get your Form I-20 to you as you requested so that you can use it to reenter the United States.

    Travel Information

    You will need these documents to re-enter the country:

    • A valid passport. (Unless you are exempt from passport requirements.)
    • A valid F-1 visa (unless you are exempt). You do not need a valid F-1 visa to return if you are travelling to Canada, Mexico, or to the islands in the Caribbean for less than 30 days and are not from there. Instead of a valid visa, you must have an I-94 departure record that shows you are F-1 for “duration of status” or D/S.
    • If you need to renew your F-1 visa to return, you can only get it at home. If you need more information about how to renew your visa, let us know and we can send you instructions.
    • If you have a valid visa but it has another school’s name on it, it doesn’t matter. The school name on your visa doesn’t change until you need to renew it.

    Your New Monmouth University I-20

    • Evidence of your financial support. Carry copies of the financial documents you submitted for getting your Form I-20.
    • INS must stamp and separate your Monmouth University I-20 to complete your school transfer/change. If they do not, bring your I-20 with you to our office and we will take care of it for you.

    What You Need to do After You Arrive at Monmouth University

    • Report to International Student Orientation.
    • Make an appointment with the International Admission counselor in the Office of Undergraduate Admission to complete the school transfer process.

    Q:  What is the process for entering the United States on a student visa?


    1. Present your I-20 and original financial documents, which should be sealed in an envelope marked “For presentation at port-of-entry.”

    2. On the plane, you will complete the Form 1-94 Arrival/Departure Record.

    3. At port of entry, present your passport with visa, I-94, and sealed envelope to INS inspector.

    4. The inspector will determine your eligibility for admission by inspecting documents and luggage and asking questions about the school, your finances, and work.

    5. If found admissible, the INS inspector will: - Stamp I-94 (both parts), I-20 (pages 1 and 3), passport (page opposite visa) - Write I-94 admission number on visa and I-20 (pages 1 and 3) - Write F-1 D/S (Duration of Status) on I-94 and I-20 - Separate I-94 and I-20 - Staple I-94 Departure Record on page opposite visa in passport - Send I-94 Arrival Record and I-20 A (School) copy to London, KY - Return passport, I-20 ID, and original financial documents to student

    6. After data entry, the I-20 School page will be returned to school for record keeping.

    Q:  What if my F-1 student visa has expired?

    A:  It is imperative that a student keep his/her F-1 up to date. If a student needs to renew his/her F-1 visa, the student can only get it from his/her native country.

    Q:  What is an I-94?

    A:  An I-94 form is filled out upon a student's entry into the U.S. It explains the student’s reason for being in the country.

    Q:  What is SEVIS?

    A:  SEVIS is the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System run by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). SEVIS monitors and reports international students and scholars in the U.S. There is a $200 SEVIS fee that is required, which should be paid before going to your country's consulate for a visa interview. Click for more information on SEVIS.

    Q:  Where is the closest airport?


    There are three major international airports in the New Jersey/New York metropolitan area. The closest one to Monmouth is Newark Liberty International Airport, which is approximately 45 minutes north of campus. The two other major airports are John F. Kennedy International Airport and LaGuardia International Airport. Both are located in New York City.

    MU is served by two of those airports--Kennedy (JFK) and Newark Liberty (EWR). We recommend Newark Airport because it is closer, smaller, and less congested than Kennedy. Newark Liberty also has a monorail system (Airtrain) which will take you directly to the train which goes to Long Branch, NJ, the town next to MU. The train station in Long Branch is about 3 miles from the MU.

    If you choose to take a limousine from either Newark Liberty or Kennedy airport, the following information will be helpful. In order for you to secure transportation from the airports to MU you must make reservations in advance. We recommend Murphy's Limousine Service. The telephone number is 732-741-4600. They require you call 48 hours in advance to make your reservation. They will pick you up at the baggage claim area. There, the driver will hold a sign with your last name and will bring you directly to MU or a nearby location if you wish. Ask them for prices for the transportation. You will need to provide Murphy's with the following information upon calling to make a reservation: name, airport at which you will be arriving, airline you are flying, flight number, flight's arrival time, country of departure, and flight's departure time.

    Off Campus Students

    Q:  How can I avoid having problems with my neighbors and/or the local officials?

    A:  Use common sense and get to know your neighbors as soon as you move in and don't assume that you can do whatever you want. While it's true that you have rights as a tenant, it does not make you immune from respecting your neighbors and adhering to the laws and ordinances pertinent to your community. As soon as you move into your apartment or house, take a few moments and introduce yourself to your neighbors. Give them your phone number and let them know they should feel free to contact you if they have any concerns. It's a lot easier to have your neighbor call you or stop by your house when they have a concern, then to have the police respond. Make sure that you take care of the simple day to day things that can have a big impact on your relationship with your neighbors. This would include taking out your garbage and recycling on the proper day(s), keeping your yard clean and free of rubbish and debris, and keeping the noise down after 8 p.m.

    Q:  What is a Certificate of Occupancy (C of O) and how does that effect me as a student renter?

    A:  Most if not all of the towns and municipalities in Monmouth County require a C of O before a tenant is permitted to move-in. The C of O is an inspection process that local building, fire, and safety officials use when they visit the property that a landlord is intending to rent. The officials review a number of building and safety factors to insure that your rental is habitable and safe for tenants.

    Q:  What are some of the laws and ordinances that I should be familiar with as a student renter?


    Common sense is the best way to approach the laws and ordinances that impact student renters.

    1. Don't have large, loud parties.
    2. Don't provide alcohol to people under the age of 21.
    3. Keep the noise down from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m.
    4. Make sure you keep your yard and property clean and free of rubbish.
    5. Make sure your cats and dogs are licensed, curbed, and picked up after.
    6. Don't park your vehicles on the sidewalk or lawn.
    7. Make sure your guests and visitors act responsibly when they are in your apartment or house.
    8. Make sure your garbage and recycling is in the proper containers and set out for pick-up on proper dates and times.

    Q:  What should I do if I am having problems with my landlord?

    A:  Communication is the key to any relationship. If you are having problems getting repairs made or getting your security deposit returned, you want to address these concerns BEFORE they happen. As a tenant you need to make sure that you have a signed copy of your lease, before you move in. Your lease should spell out what the tenant must do and what the landlord must do. It should also detail the rules and regulations for that property. A good rule of thumb for working with your landlord is to get every promise in writing. Any time your landlord says something will be fixed, have him or her put it in writing. Anytime you contact your landlord to get a repair made, modify your lease, etc., follow up your conversation with a certified letter reiterating your request(s) and what your landlord promised. Keep any and all correspondence related to your rental in a folder. If you continue to have problems with your landlord, you may need to seek legal counsel.

    Q:  I have an apartment for rent. How can I inform your students and faculty?

    A:  Please contact the Office of Off-Campus and Commuter Services at 732-263-5651 or by sending e-mail to Additional information about services available through this office can be found online at

    Q:  When should I start looking for an apartment?

    A:  Most of the students at Monmouth University begin their search for off-campus housing during the spring semester. This is traditionally a time of year when landlords and realtors begin to notify OCCS of available apartments and houses for rent. Landlords who have rented to MU students in the past know you will be finishing you academic year and they will want to find tenants for their properties.

    Q:  What's the best way for me to find an apartment or house to rent?


    There are a number of factors that students should consider when trying to find a rental.

    1. Determine how much you can afford each month.
    2. Decide whether or not you want to have roommates.
    3. Determine how close or far away from campus you are willing to live.
    4. Decide upon the type of rental you are seeking.

    Once you have answered those preliminary questions your next step will be to begin searching for available properties.

    1. Stop by the Office of Off Campus and Community Services (OCCS) to review the current listings and pick up a copy of the Guide to Living Off-Campus and the list of local realtors and apartment complexes.
    2. Review the Asbury Park Press to see what rentals exist.
    3. Contact realtors and landlords who have properties to make an appointment for a viewing.

    When you get to the apartment or house you should have the following information ready.

    1. Have a list of questions pertaining to your living needs, interests, and concerns ready when you meet with the realtor or landlord.
    2. Do a thorough inspection of the rental. Make a list of the positive and negative points.
    3. Dress to impress. You should treat your search for a rental the same way you would treat a job interview.
    4. Don't forget your checkbook. If you find an apartment or house that you really like, you won't want to miss it because you were not ready to put down a deposit to hold the property.

    Once you have found the apartment or house that you would like to rent.

    1. Contact the local code enforcement office to determine if your rental has ever had any problems getting a C of O.
    2. Thoroughly review and understand your lease BEFORE you sign it.
    3. Make sure that you and your landlord have signed it and that you have a copy before you attempt to move-in.
    4. Complete a move-in condition checklist of the rental the day you move-in. It should detail the condition of the property and any existing damage to the rental. You should sign it, get your landlord to sign it and have it attached as part of the lease.


    Q:  What can I do as a parent to remain aware of how my son or daughter is doing?

    A:  Keep the communication lines open! University life is very different from high school. This is a transition time for all involved, regardless of whether your student is living on campus or commuting.

    Q:  How will I know if my son or daughter is having academic difficulty?

    A:  Monmouth has a computerized early warning system involving all freshmen. The Center for Student Success (CSS) advisors are regularly informed of difficulties which freshmen are experiencing in their classrooms, i.e., absences and poor performance. Required appointments are scheduled for these students to avert serious difficulties.

    Q:  Where can we get information on Financial Aid and Scholarships?

    A:  The University offers academic grants and scholarships to incoming freshman and transfer students. The Undergraduate Admission Office determines the amount and type of merit award based upon a review of the student's academic record, housing status and SAT scores. The Department of Athletics selects applicants to receive grants in accordance with the NCAA regulations. The Financial Aid Office awards endowed and sponsored academic scholarships to upper-classmen and transfer students according to criteria established by the donors. Monmouth University participates in all major federal and New Jersey state aid programs.

    Q:  Must I file a Financial Aid application every year?

    A:  Yes! Students are required to file a FAFSA each year for need-based programs and non-need loans each year. Renewal notices are sent by the university and government agencies late in the calendar year.

    Q:  When can I find out who my son's or daughter's roommate is?

    A:  On or about August 1, students will receive housing information for the academic year listing room assignment, the name, address and telephone number of their assigned roommate(s) and other pertinent residential life information

    Q:  Are we billed by the semester? When are payments due?

    A:  After students complete registration and prior to each semester you will receive a bill with a due date. The Fall Semester bill is due in early August and the Spring Semester bill is due in early December. If for some reason you do not receive a bill, you should call the Bursar's Office at 732-571-3454 to make payment arrangements. The university does participate in a payment plan service.

    Q:  Will I see my son or daughter's midterm and final grades? What is FERPA?

    A:   Students may access their midterm grades online, using their WEBstudent account. Parents do not automatically receive copies due to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), unless the student completes a waiver. The waiver is accessible from each student’s e-FORMS account. Please visit the Registrar’s Parents page for more detailed information.

    Residential Life

    Q:  Do All Athletes live together?

    A:  No, we do not house students by team (NCAA regulations prevent "athlete only" housing).

    Q:  What banks are local?

    A:  Wachovia has a branch and an ATM on our campus.

    Q:  Are my belongings insured?

    A:  Monmouth University does not accept responsibility for personal belongings. You should check your homeowners insurance or take out a policy with the National Student Services, Inc.

    Q:  Are there computers on campus?

    A:  Yes, you will find labs in the Student Center and academic buildings. Computer labs are open 24 hours, 7 days a week in Edison Hall and Bey Hall.

    Q:  When do I move in?

    A:  Move-in dates, times, and instructions will be provided in July/August. The tentative move-in date is Sunday, August 31, 2008.

    Q:  What else do I need to know?

    A:  If you have any additional questions, please call the Residential Life Office at 732-571-3465.

    Q:  Is housing guaranteed?

    A:  University housing is on a first come, first serve basis for new, first year students and on a space available basis for transfer students.

    Q:  May I see my room before I move in?

    A:  The Admissions Office provides campus tours, including a visit to a representative residence hall room. Because most residence halls are occupied by outside groups during the summer, you will not be able to see your room until residence hall opening.

    Q:  What is the maximum amount a landlord can charge as a security deposit?

    A:  New Jersey law (N.J.S.A. 46:8-21.2.) states that the most a landlord can collect as a security deposit is 1 1/2 times the monthly rent. (For example, if your total monthly rent is $1,000, the most that he or she can collect is $1,500. If there were 3 students renting this property they would each have to pay $500 as a security deposit.) Furthermore, your landlord is required by law to provide you in writing, with the name of the bank, the account number and the location of the bank where your security deposit is being held. Finally, when you are moving out of your rental, your landlord is required to return your security deposit with interest, within 30 days, from the date when you moved out of the property, less any rent that you owe, or any charges for repairing damage to the rental. If your landlord deducts any amounts for damages or rent, he or she must give you a complete list of the damages he or she claims you made to the property and the cost of repairs. NOTE: Landlords cannot charge cleaning fees to tenants who leave their rental "broom clean."

    Q:  Where do I pay for my residence hall room?

    A:  Payments of all university fees are made at the Bursar’s office. You will receive your statement prior to your housing assignment.

    Q:  Are pets permitted in the residence halls?

    A:  Pets are not permitted in the halls.

    Q:  I have a problem with my room/roommate. What should I do?

    A:  If you have a problem or concern with your roommate, suitemates, or have general concerns about your residence hall, you should contact your RA or hall director. There are five hall directors on staff. If you are uncertain who your RA or hall director is, you can contact the Office of Residential Life directly at 732-571-3465 or by sending e-mail to When you call or send an e-mail, you will be referred to the appropriate staff member in your building.

    Q:  Do I have to purchase a meal plan?

    A:  Yes. All resident students are required to be on a combined Room and Board (meal) Contract. Only students who reside in the Great Lawn, Garden, and Maplewood Apartments are permitted to reside in University housing without a meal plan. A 7 meal plan is available for upperclassmen only.

    Q:  Can I request a building?

    A:  No, our automated software assigns buildings.

    Q:  Can I request a roommate?

    A:  Yes, by all means if there is someone you would like to live with and they are agreeable, we will do our best to accommodate you. Note: both students must request each other on their contracts in order to be made roommates.

    Q:  What is the visitation policy in the residence halls?

    A:  Overnight visitation in freshman halls is restricted to no more than two consecutive nights per week and four cumulative nights per month. Consent of the roommate is necessary.

    Q:  Who is the hall director of my hall? Who is the resident assistant?

    A:  The hall director (HD) is a full-time professional staff member responsible for counseling, programming, and administrative duties of your hall. The HD lives in an apartment on the first floor of your residence hall. The resident assistant (RA) is an upper-class student trained to serve as a peer assistant. Resident assistants live on the floors or wings of your residence hall.

    Q:  When will I get my room assignment?

    A:  You will find out where you will be living and who your roommate will be the last week in July or the first week in August. A bill will be sent to you prior to your room assignment.

    Q:  Where should my mail be sent?

    A:  Your Name Monmouth University Your Hall, your room # 431 Cedar Ave West Long Branch, NJ 07764-1898

    Q:  Are single rooms available?

    A:  There are no single rooms available.

    Q:  Can students have cars?

    A:  Yes, all cars must be registered with the University Police and must be parked in designated resident lots. Parking is assigned on a first-come, first-served basis and is not guaranteed. Freshmen may be required to park in designated lots since upperclassmen have priority. Commuter parking is free and the resident parking fee is $330.00 per year.

    Q:  Are the beds bunked? Can they be?

    A:  The majority of beds are bunkable beds (depending on the hall). Most students choose to leave their beds bunked to maximize floor space. Students may also choose to rent a loft; information will be sent to you in July.

    Q:  What will happen if I am charged with violating the law while living off-campus?

    A:  Monmouth students who live off-campus and are charged with violating a local, state, or federal law(s) may also be charged for violating the Student Code of Conduct. It is important that all students recognize that as members of the MU community they will be held accountable for their actions and behavior while residing in the communities surrounding the University.

    Q:  Do we have cable TV?

    A:  Yes, there are over 50 channels available.

    Q:  How are roommates assigned?

    A:  Students accepted for University housing are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis and through the housing contract questionnaire. We attempt to honor mutual requests for roommates.


    Transfer Students

    Q:  How can I see how my credits will transfer?

    A:   There are two easy ways to find out. If you have taken courses at a community/county college in New Jersey, simply log on to the NJ Transfer Web site at to access credit equivalencies. You can also receive a no-obligation unofficial credit evaluation. Please see details regarding the unofficial transfer credit process on the transfer section of the admission Web site.

    Q:  What is the criteria for transfer students to be considered for admission?

    A:  Students must have a cumulative average of 2.25 GPA or better to be considered for admission. For the education majors, you need to have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00.

    Q:  What do I need to do to apply as a transfer student?

    A:  Applying to Monmouth as a transfer student is very simple. You must submit the application for admission, a $50 application fee, official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended, and official high school transcripts (if you have less than 24 college credits at the time you apply). Students should receive a decision approximately two to three weeks after a student’s application is made complete.

    Q:  How will my associate's degree will help me as a transfer student?

    A:  Some of our transfer students have associate's degrees from community colleges; others bring experiences from colleges near and far. How ever you come to Monmouth University, we will help you quickly feel at home here, and your insight and experience will be welcomed—inside and outside the classroom.

    Q:  How many credits can I transfer to Monmouth?

    A:  In general, students transferring from an accredited two-year institution may receive up to 72 credits, provided these credits are compatible with Monmouth degree requirements. Students transferring from a four-year institution may transfer up to 96 credits. There may be credit requirements in certain majors. For example, economic, finance, management, or marketing majors may transfer up to 22 business credits. Accounting majors may transfer up to 28 business credits. Education majors can only transfer two education classes if they are coming from a two-year institution. Click here to view curriculum charts.

    Q:  Would I be able to get housing on campus as a transfer student?

    A:  Housing for transfer students is on a space-available basis and assigned according to number of credits and availability.

    Q:  Would I be able to get parking on campus as a transfer student?

    A:  Parking is on a space available basis for resident students but guaranteed for commuter students.

    Q:  As a transfer student, when can I register for classes?

    A:  Accepted students who are planning to attend Monmouth University must submit a $200 non-refundable deposit to secure their enrollment for the desired semester. All transfer deposits are non-refundable. Once the credit evaluation is complete and enrollment deposit is received by the Office of Undergraduate Admission, an academic advisor from your intended department will contact you to schedule an appointment for advising and registration.

    Q:  Are there scholarships available for transfer students?

    A:  Transfer scholarships ranging from $2,000 - $9,000 are awarded to students pursuing a full time course load when entering Monmouth University and are renewable as long as you maintain the required Monmouth GPA. Scholarships are determined upon acceptance to the University.

    Q:  How do transfer students plan their academic schedules?

    A:  Special Transfer programs coordinated by the Center for Student Success at which they meet academic advisors from their departments. A general orientation program for transfer students is offered the day before classes start in the fall and offers the students more details about other aspects of the University.

    Undergraduate Students

    Q:  When do I have to declare my major?

    A:  Students must declare their major by the end of their sophomore year. Academic advisors in the First Year Advising office are available to aid students in choosing a major.

    Q:  Are tutoring services available?

    A:  Tutoring services are available in Reading, Writing and Math. Counselors and freshman advisors provide students with information on how to utilize these services.

    Q:  What is the average class size at Monmouth?

    A:  Class size will vary from course to course, but the average class size is 23 students.

    Q:  How can I find what clubs and activities exist on-campus?


    The first place to start is in the Student Handbook where you will find all of the currently recognized student clubs and organizations. If you still have questions about getting involved, take a moment to talk to the Office of Student Activities, located on the 2nd floor of the Student Center. They can be reached by calling 732-571-3586. Another way to find out what's happening on-campus is by picking up a copy of The Outlook, the student run newspaper, which is printed once a week during the academic semesters. Students can also check the bulletin boards located in the Student Center for further club and event information.

    Please visit the Student Activities Page.

    Q:  Who should I speak to if I have a question related to my classes or my academic major?

    A:  If you are currently taking a course and you have a question, you should start with the professor. He or she should be able to provide you with the answers that you need. If you have a question related to your major, you should make an appointment to speak to your advisor. If you don't have an advisor, you should contact the Center for Student Success, located on the lower level of the Student Center for more information. They can be reached by calling 571-7522.

    Q:  Do most students know their major and what they want to do?

    A:  Approximately 80% of the entering students have chosen a major when they come to college. The freshman year can be a great time for students to explore majors and careers. An advising program for undeclared majors offers students the opportunity to explore options for up to two years before declaring a major. Undeclared freshmen and sophomores receive help from specially trained faculty advisors and Center for Student Success professional counselors. Students should work closely with their academic advisors to plan courses in their areas of interest. Students who are planning to study any sciences or education are encouraged to declare a major at an earlier time.

    Q:  When does academic planning and advising begin for new students?

    A:  Academic planning and advising for new students begins with placement testing in English, Reading, and Math. This testing helps determine the appropriate course level for the new student. Based on the results, students may be required to take developmental courses in English, Math and/or Reading. Freshmen are invited to meet a specially designated academic advisor during the summer advising program in July. At that time, they learn their placement test results and register for the fall semester.

    Q:  How many credits are required to graduate?

    A:  The minimum number of credits to graduate is 128. Some academic programs will exceed that amount.

    Q:  What is the Experiential Education requirement?

    A:  All students entering Monmouth University during the fall 1997 semester and after will be required to complete an Experiential Education requirement. Recognizing that students can learn more by combining the theories and ideas taught in the classroom with "real world," Monmouth provides opportunities such as internships, cooperative education, and experiential education courses (designated as "E") to help students achieve these objectives in a variety of ways. Each department has a Career Advisor and Planner (CAP) available to guide students.

    Q:  Does Monmouth University have payment plans?

    A:  Monmouth participates in the Tuition Management Systems. For more information contact the Monmouth University Bursar Office.

    Q:  What are the required courses?

    A:  Monmouth University has a specific set of General Education requirements that must be completed by all majors. These include two English Composition, two English Literature, one Critical Discourse, one perspectives, two Histories, one Information Technology, two Social Sciences, two sciences, one mathematics, two Cross Cultural, as well as departmental requirements. In addition, all students must complete the Writing Proficiency Examination (WPE000) and Experiential Education degree requirements. For further information about these courses, please refer to the Undergraduate Catalog.

    Q:  What is the student/faculty ratio?

    A:  14:1

    Q:  How many students attend Monmouth?

    A:  There are approximately 6,000 students at Monmouth University. Approximately 4,000 are enrolled as a full-time undergraduate students.

    Q:  Can students cash checks on campus?

    A:  Yes, resident students may cash a check for up to $40 per day in the University Bookstore. Checks must be payable to "Monmouth University." No two party checks are accepted. In addition, there is an automatic teller machine available on campus in the student center through Wachovia as well as a Wachovia branch.

    Q:  How many students live on campus?

    A:  Currently there are approximately 1,800 students living on campus in 14 residence halls.

    Q:  What services are available for students with learning disabilities

    A:  All identified students with learning disabilities who have furnished appropriate documentation may request modifications and accommodations as specified by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act. Assistance is provided by the Office of Disability Services for Students.

    Q:  When I’m applying to Monmouth, where should I send my transcripts and other supporting documents?

    A:  Transcripts and other documents being submitted as a part of your application to Monmouth should be sent to the Office of Admission Processing, Monmouth University, 400 Cedar Avenue, West Long Branch, NJ 07764.

    Q:  What is there to do while I’m not in class?

    A:  There are close to 80 organizations at Monmouth, including clubs, honor societies, community service groups, fraternities/sororities, student government, the campus radio and TV stations, the yearbook, and an award-winning student newspaper. An activities fair is held at the beginning of the fall term.

    Q:  Can freshmen have cars?

    A:  Yes, a first year student can bring a car to campus. Parking spaces are limited and are given on a first-come first-served basis.

    Q:  Is housing guaranteed for all four years?

    A:  No, housing is guaranteed for first year students and assigned by lottery system basis for the following years.